Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day


Good thing I have you.
Can't imagine where I'd be without you.
Let's not get carried away, you're hardly perfect......
Which is fitting, since I'm at least a marathon's run away from perfection myself
Still, it's a good thing I have you

Mother has stories, so do you
So do I, but we're not talking about me (fortunately!)
Remember when I'd had surgery and you called?
You wanted me to 'tell you something good'
That did not go well!
What's good about having a piece of your anatomy resected?
The cure was worse than the disease
All I could tell you was that I was feelin' no pain (thank you Percocet + Oxycontin)
I don't think you much appreciated hearing the truth
Sorry about that. There were things I didn't yet understand
Still, it's a good thing I have you

You didn't come to fatherhood the old fashioned way,
Neither did you come to it easily, I think
You've had to be forced to deal with the unpleasantness of parenting
But I'm proud of how much you've allowed yourself to learn
I'm proud of how much I've allowed myself to learn
You've managed, without knowing it, to model success (haha! you say) and artistic integrity
I don't always agree with you and sometimes I want to smack you but still
It's a good thing I have you

It really is a good thing I have you
It really is a very good thing I have you



To the father who chose me. Happy Father's Day. I love you.  We love you.




1 comment: